Why do you eat? Most people respond by saying "because I am hungry". Did you know that there are 7 different types of hunger? These include:
- Eye hunger is when you see food and become hungry. For example, after completing a meal at a restaurant you feel full, but when seeing food you may decide to have dessert.
- Nose hunger is also known as the "Cinnabon effect" where you are minding your business when all of a sudden you're hit with the sweet smell of cinnamon rolls and crave to eat one.
- Mouth hunger is a craving for food that will provide a sensation in your mouth. Crunchiness and creaminess are the most common.
- Stomach hunger is the most obvious and can be identified when your stomach feels empty and is growling for food. This is your body's way of telling you it needs energy and nourishment.
- Cellular hunger is your body's wisdom telling you what your cells need. For example, while on vacation you may indulge in rich foods and after a couple of your body craves vegetables.
- Mind hunger is usually full of "shoulds" and "should nots" such as I should eat my vegetables or should not have cake.
- Heart hunger is responsible for emotional eating. This comes into play when you eat because you feel anxious, sad, bored or lonely.
Now that you know the 7 types of hunger try to reflect on how they play into your life and your cancer journey.