- Add oil to a large pot over medium high heat. Add the carrots, celery, garlic and onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Add the stock, bay leaf, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup. Blend until smooth*, either with a hand blender or by carefully transferring to a stand blender.
- For the parmesan crisps, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place 1 tbsp mounds of grated parmesan on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkle a few fennel seeds onto each mound. Bake for about 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Use as garnish for soup.
*For some added protein and creaminess add 1/2 cup of skim milk powder before blending.