By: Barbara Jenkins CLM, Lebed Healthy Steps instructor
What is Healthy Steps?
Healthy Steps is a gentle, therapeutic dance-based exercise program. It was developed by a cancer survivor for cancer survivors.
What are the benefits of Healthy Steps?
The benefits of Healthy Steps include:
- Increased range of motion
- Reduced fatigue
- *"It keeps us energetic"
- Improved balance
- Strength and self-esteem.
- * "It helps me integrate and feel one again".
What should I expect from a Healthy Steps class?
You can expect:
- Great moves and rhythms set to music from the classics, the 60's, 70's, 80's and beyond
- A *"friendly atmosphere" where *"you can dance to lift your spirits"
- * "exercise at your own level of ability".
What is Healthy Steps like?
- Blow bubbles, which leads into the lymphatic warm up.
- 4 segments using dance moves to exercise the upper and lower body.
- Strength training using light resistance bands.
- Dance routine, followed by a cool-down.
- Chairs are available for balance and rest.
- * "It's a place to go and meet people in the same situation".
The ELLICSR gym, in Toronto General Hospital.
Wednesdays from 12:00 to 1:00
Who are the instructors?
Barbara Jenkins and Stephanie Phan
I want to be part of this. How do I join?
Pick up a Healthy Steps package from the Princess Margaret Patient and Family Library or ELLICSR. Physician consent is required, complete all the forms and, call ELLICSR at 416-581-8620 for a start time.
*Denotes comments from present Healthy Steppers